Beautiful breasts are about shape as much as size. Like the rest of the body, the breasts are affected by aging and the pull of gravity, while pregnancy, weight loss, and hormonal changes can also take their toll. Dr. David Kahng at Cara Plastic Surgery & Laser Center in Los Angeles performs breast lift surgery with artistry and skill to restore a shapely, perky, more youthful appearance to the breasts.
What Is a Breast Lift?
Technically known as mastopexy, a breast lift is surgical procedure to lift and reshape the breasts by tightening the surrounding tissue and removing excess skin to provide support for newly sculpted breast contours. If the areola has become enlarged over time, a breast lift procedure can reduce its size.
The goal of breast lift surgery is to create an uplifted breast profile and restore youthful shape and firmness to breasts that have begun to sag. For women who want their breasts to be larger as well as lifted, a breast lift can be performed in combination with breast augmentation.
Breast Lift Incision Placement
In determining incision placement for breast lift surgery, Dr. Kahng will take into consideration the degree of sagging and the patient’s preferences. Options for incision placement include:
- One incision around the edge of the areola
- Two incisions: Around the edge of the areola, and running vertically from the bottom of the areola to the breast crease
- Three incisions: Around the edge of the areola; vertically from the areola to the breast crease; and horizontally along the fold hidden in the breast crease
Reasons to Have a Breast Lift
Breast lift surgery can restore a firmer, rounded, more attractive shape to sagging breasts. Many women choose to undergo this procedure to:
- Rejuvenate the breasts: A woman’s breasts are composed of fat, glands, milk ducts, and Cooper’s ligaments (connective tissue). With aging, the ligaments stretch, fat volume diminishes, and the skin loses elasticity. In a breast lift procedure, the surgeon can lift and shape the tissue, tighten and remove excess skin to restore a more youthful appearance.
- Restore shape and firmness after pregnancy and breastfeeding: Hormonal changes and fluctuations in breast volume during pregnancy and lactation can leave the breasts stretched and sagging. With or without implants, a breast lift can help reverse these changes to restore firmer, higher, more aesthetically pleasing breasts.
- Improve breast contours after significant weight loss: Shedding excess pounds can have dramatic health and aesthetic benefits. However, significant weight loss often means loss of breast volume, stretched skin, and drooping breasts. By removing excess skin, a breast lift can restore youthful, firm breasts.
Who Is a Good Candidate for a Breast Lift?
To determine if a breast lift in Orange County is right for you, schedule a consultation with Dr. David Kahng at Cara Plastic Surgery & Laser Center. You may be a good candidate for this procedure if:
- Your nipples point downward
- The nipple and areola sit below the crease at the bottom of the breast
- You are happy with your breast size when wearing a bra
- Your breasts have a tuberous or unusual shape
- Your breasts are asymmetrical
What can I expect during mastopexy surgery?
Dr. Kahng will use a strategic surgical technique that is a perfect match for your unique situation and goals. Most often, he will create an anchor-shaped incision that stretches vertically down the breast and horizontally across the inframammary fold. This provides Dr. Kahng with the most significant amount of flexibility to effect a precise and painstaking result. Excess fat, skin and tissue is removed, and the breasts along with the nipples are reshaped and repositioned. If a client has smaller breasts, they may be a candidate for a periareolar incision around the nipples. This approach comes with less downtime and can minimize the risk of losing sensation in the nipples.
What can I expect from my recovery following a breast lift?
After breast lift surgery, you will need someone to drive you home and assist you for the first 24 hours. Most clients take 2-3 days off of work. Postoperative pain can be managed with pain medications prescribed by Dr. Kahng. You will need to wear a compression garment for about 6 weeks after your procedure, which can help to reduce your swelling and keep your new, improved breast shape in pristine condition. Dr. Kahng will provide you with a detailed aftercare plan going over instructions for bathing, sleeping, caring for your incisions, returning to exercise, and returning to work.
What kind of results can I expect?
Breast lift surgery can help to elevate the nipples into a more pleasing, attractive position; create a more favorable breast angle; improve breast symmetry; reduce breast ptosis; and revitalize your figure in dramatic ways. Best of all, a breast lift can help to enhance your confidence and offer you many new wardrobe choices that were not available previously. The longevity of your breast lift results will depend on a variety of factors such as your age, genetics, lifestyle and diet. You can prolong your outcome by avoiding weight fluctuations, staying out of direct sun, limiting high-impact activities, and wearing a support bra.
Why choose Cara Plastic Surgery for a Breast Lift?
Dr. Kahng is a trusted aesthetic surgeon who combines skill and precision with consummate artistry to deliver an outstanding patient experience from start to finish. Dr. Kahng received his doctorate from The Chicago Medical School, and went on to complete both a demanding 5-year residency in general surgery, as well as a prestigious 2-year fellowship in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
Accredited by the AAAASF, the Cara Plastic Surgery & Laser Center is a cutting edge facility offering the very latest in advanced technology and equipment. From our professional, caring staff to our state-of-the-art surgical and recovery suites, a visit to our office is stress-free and rewarding, providing you with a sanctuary for well being and self-improvement.
Follow us @caraplasticsurgery
Schedule a Free Consultation