Beautiful breasts are about shape as much as size. Like the rest of the body, the breasts are affected by aging and the pull of gravity, while pregnancy, weight loss, and hormonal changes can also take their toll. Dr. David Kahng at Cara Plastic Surgery & Laser Center in Los Angeles performs breast lift surgery with artistry and skill to restore a shapely, perky, more youthful appearance to the breasts.
What Is a Breast Lift?
Technically known as mastopexy, a breast lift is surgical procedure to lift and reshape the breasts by tightening the surrounding tissue and removing excess skin to provide support for newly sculpted breast contours. If the areola has become enlarged over time, a breast lift procedure can reduce its size.
The goal of breast lift surgery is to create an uplifted breast profile and restore youthful shape and firmness to breasts that have begun to sag. For women who want their breasts to be larger as well as lifted, a breast lift can be performed in combination with breast augmentation.
Breast Lift Incision Placement
In determining incision placement for breast lift surgery, Dr. Kahng will take into consideration the degree of sagging and the patient’s preferences. Options for incision placement include:
- One incision around the edge of the areola
- Two incisions: Around the edge of the areola, and running vertically from the bottom of the areola to the breast crease
- Three incisions: Around the edge of the areola; vertically from the areola to the breast crease; and horizontally along the fold hidden in the breast crease
Reasons to Have a Breast Lift
Breast lift surgery can restore a firmer, rounded, more attractive shape to sagging breasts. Many women choose to undergo this procedure to:
- Rejuvenate the breasts: A woman’s breasts are composed of fat, glands, milk ducts, and Cooper’s ligaments (connective tissue). With aging, the ligaments stretch, fat volume diminishes, and the skin loses elasticity. In a breast lift procedure, the surgeon can lift and shape the tissue, tighten and remove excess skin to restore a more youthful appearance.
- Restore shape and firmness after pregnancy and breastfeeding: Hormonal changes and fluctuations in breast volume during pregnancy and lactation can leave the breasts stretched and sagging. With or without implants, a breast lift can help reverse these changes to restore firmer, higher, more aesthetically pleasing breasts.
- Improve breast contours after significant weight loss: Shedding excess pounds can have dramatic health and aesthetic benefits. However, significant weight loss often means loss of breast volume, stretched skin, and drooping breasts. By removing excess skin, a breast lift can restore youthful, firm breasts.
Who Is a Good Candidate for a Breast Lift?
To determine if a breast lift in Orange County is right for you, schedule a consultation with Dr. David Kahng at Cara Plastic Surgery & Laser Center. You may be a good candidate for this procedure if:
- Your nipples point downward
- The nipple and areola sit below the crease at the bottom of the breast
- You are happy with your breast size when wearing a bra
- Your breasts have a tuberous or unusual shape
- Your breasts are asymmetrical