Pregnancy, weight loss, and the process of aging can cause loose, sagging skin and weakened muscles in the abdomen. When the skin on the belly is severely stretched and the muscles become distended with pregnancy or obesity, diet and exercise may not be effective in correcting the problem. At Cara Plastic Surgery & Laser Center in Los Angeles and Orange County, Dr. David Kahng can perform a tummy tuck procedure to smooth, firm, flatten, and tighten the belly.
What Is a Tummy Tuck?
Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) is a cosmetic surgery to remove excess skin and fat from the belly and tighten abdominal muscles to create a flatter, fitter, more toned appearance. This procedure is often included in a “mommy makeover” performed to restore a woman’s figure after pregnancy. It is also commonly performed on both men and women after massive weight loss or when the aging process has left them with a sagging or protruding belly.
Who Is a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?
A tummy tuck may be appropriate for adults who have loose hanging skin on the abdomen and weakened abdominal muscles. This may include:
- Women who have gone through one or more pregnancy: Pregnancy can leave a woman with weakened muscles, loose skin, and excess fat on the belly. Without surgical assistance, the skin and muscles often will not bounce back after childbirth.
- Men and women who have lost massive amounts of weight naturally or through bariatric surgery:ß After massive weight loss, many people are left with large amounts of loose, hanging fat and skin around the midsection. A tummy tuck can remove excess fat and skin, firm and tighten the belly, to create a more attractive appearance that better reflects your weight loss efforts.
- Older people who have weak stomach muscles and sagging abdominal skin: It is an unfortunate fact the muscles weaken and skin loses elasticity with aging. A protruding belly with excess fat and hanging skin can make you look older and less fit than you actually are. Tummy tuck surgery can restore a flatter, firmer, more youthful appearance to the abdomen.
Tummy Tuck Procedure
The tummy tuck is a popular procedure among women and men whose bodies have undergone dramatic changes through pregnancy, significant weight loss, or aging. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), 127,633 abdominoplasty procedures were performed in the U.S. in a recent year.
How a Tummy Tuck Works
This surgery is performed under general anesthesia. It requires a horizontally-oriented incision in the area between the belly button and the pubic hair. Through this incision, the surgeon elevates the loose skin/fat and tightens the abdominal muscles, and then pulls down the excess skin/fat and removes it which corrects a protruding belly to leave the midsection flatter, smoother, and better toned.
Dr. David Kahng at Cara Plastic Surgery & Laser Center has extensive training and experience and a reputation for surgical excellence. The procedure is performed at our facility that is accredited by AAAASF for patient health and safety. Schedule a consultation to find out if a tummy tuck in Orange County/Los Angeles is an appropriate treatment option for you.
What does tummy tuck recovery entail?
Most patients will take around 2 weeks off from work after an abdominoplasty. Physical activity will be limited, and you will need to stay bent at the waist. A drainage tube will be in place to help rid the body of excess fluids and blood. You will also need to wear a compression garment for around 6 weeks after your tummy tuck surgery. This will help to dial down your swelling and keep your new lean, sculpted shape intact.
Can tummy tuck surgery be combined with other procedures?
A tummy tuck is a significant component of a mommy makeover, a combination procedure designed to rejuvenate your physique after childbirth. By combining procedures, a woman can lower overall costs as well as downtime. Abdominoplasty can also be well-combined with liposuction, which is used to trim away excess fat, creating slimmer, more streamlined contours. Additionally, a tummy tuck can be performed with a thigh lift, an upper arm lift, or a butt lift. These procedures can help to deliver comprehensive changes in the figure, elevating your self-image.
What are some common risks and complications related to tummy tuck surgery?
Dr. Kahng does everything possible to minimize your risks during surgery by practicing conservative, precision-based techniques. However, one cannot completely eradicate surgical risk. The doctor will go over the potential risks and complications with you during your private consultation so that you can make an informed and empowered choice to move forward with your abdominoplasty.
Risks associated with tummy tuck surgery include:
- Anesthesia risks
- Seroma (the accumulation of excess fluids below the skin’s surface)
- Poor wound-healing
- Tissue damage or death
- Reduced sensation in the skin
Schedule a Free Consultation