Many people work hard to achieve fitness but still have stubborn fat deposits in certain areas resisting all efforts. Even after achieving an ideal weight, they may still have “muffin top,” heavy thighs, belly fat, or pockets of fat in the upper arms or under the chin.
Reasons to Have Liposuction
Liposuction is the second most popular cosmetic surgery in the U.S., with 235,000 procedures performed in a recent year, as reported in American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) statistics. Contrary to a common misconception, liposuction is not a weight-loss procedure. Liposuction is a body or face contouring procedure. It is a safe, effective treatment to resolve the following conditions:
- Get rid of trouble spots: This treatment is not intended for overall weight loss. Its purpose is to treat pockets of fat in specific areas of the body. This includes larger areas, such as the abdomen, thighs, buttocks, and upper arms, as well as smaller areas, such as under the chin.
- Sculpt and contour the body: In some cases, diet and exercise can only get you so far. If you have reached your ideal weight, you may still have areas, such as the hips, flanks, or upper arms, that are disproportionately large in comparison to the rest of the body. Liposuction makes it possible to achieve a sleeker, more sculpted, better-proportioned physique.
- Reduce the body’s production of fat: In a liposuction procedure, fat cells are removed from the body. If fat cells are no longer there, there are no longer able to store fat. Liposuction produces long-lasting fat reduction results.
- Stimulate collagen production: Collagen is the protein that holds the body together and helps keep the skin firm and free of wrinkles. Collagen production diminishes with aging. Cutting-edge laser liposuction techniques stimulate the growth of collagen in the body.
- Improve overall health: Research has shown that liposuction treatment can reduce triglycerides (fat cells in the blood). High triglyceride levels can lead to an increased risk of heart disease.
If you have obstinate fat deposits that will not respond to diet and exercise, liposuction may be an appropriate treatment for you. After a consultation at Cara Plastic Surgery & Laser Center and careful evaluation of your anatomy, Dr. David Kahng can custom-tailor a liposuction treatment plan for you.