The process of aging can take a tremendous toll on the appearance of the neck. As men and women enter their mid-forties or fifties, a double chin may appear and the jawline may soften into loose, hanging jowls. A “turkey wattle,” vertical banding, and deep creases in the neck can add years to a person’s appearance.
At Cara Plastic Surgery & Laser Center in Los Angeles/Orange County, Dr. Kahng can perform neck lift surgery to restore a more youthful appearance to the neck and jawline. This can be done as a stand-alone procedure or in combination with other procedures, such as facelift, liposuction, lip enhancement, cheek augmentation or other cosmetic enhancement.
What Is a Neck Lift?
Advances in medical technology have made neck lift surgery a safer, more effective procedure in recent years. This cosmetic treatment is growing in popularity. As reported by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), 55,227 procedures were performed in the U.S. in 2016, representing a 2% increase over the previous year.
A neck lift is performed to enhance the appearance of the neck, and reduce the appearance of aging tissues and skin. In this procedure, our skilled plastic surgeon will tighten the skin and underlying muscles in the neck and improve the contours of the jawline.
Reasons to Have a Neck Lift
A smooth, graceful neck and a defined jawline is a sign of youth and good health. Performed with precision and skill, a neck lift performed at our Orange County/Los Angeles plastic surgery clinic can greatly enhance your facial features and contribute to a fresher, more youthful appearance.
Do I Need a Neck Lift?
Patients choose to undergo neck lift surgery to correct:
- Turkey wattle: Loose muscles and vertical bands on the neck can be a dreadful sign of the aging process, adding years to your appearance. Aging, gravity, environmental factors, excess weight, heredity, and lifestyle choices can contribute to this unsightly condition. A turkey wattle (excess neck skin and tissue) is the one of the primary reasons many of our patients undergo a neck lift.
- Excess fat in the neck area: A double chin does not necessarily go hand-in-hand with being overweight. Many people of normal weight suffer with this cosmetic issue, which can be the result of aging skin which can no longer support tissue as it did in the past. Neck lift surgery may be combined with liposuction to remove any excess fat located under the chin.
- Loose, excess skin: In some cases, a double chin is not a matter of excess fat, but rather loose, hanging, excess skin. In a neck lift procedure, the surgeon can lift and trim excess skin to create more youthful contour of the neck and a more defined jawline.
Benefits of a Neck Lift
Unfortunately, some of the earliest signs of aging appear on the neck area. In a neck lift procedure, through carefully placed incisions behind the ear, around the earlobe, and under the chin, our skilled plastic surgeon can correct:
- Skin laxity in the neck and jawline
- Excess fat under the chin
- Vertical muscle bands in the neck
A neck lift at Cara Plastic Surgery & Laser Center in Los Angeles/Orange County can dramatically improve the appearance of the neck and produce smoother, more appealing contours and a more defined jawline. Schedule a consultation with our highly trained plastic surgeons to find out if this procedure is recommended for you.