As we grow older, the skin of the eyelids stretches as it loses its natural elasticity. Muscles in the eye area begin to weaken. Fatty deposits in the eyelids become more prominent and can begin to bulge. The upper and lower eyelids can become droopy or baggy, detracting from the attractiveness of the eyes and causing a sad, tired, aging appearance.
Blepharoplasty: Eyelid Surgery for Facial Rejuvenation
These cosmetic issues can be corrected with upper or lower eyelid surgery, technically known as blepharoplasty. Our skilled plastic surgeons at Cara Plastic Surgery & Laser Center in Los Angeles can tailor an eyelid rejuvenation procedure specifically for you.
Reasons to Have Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery
Our eyes are the main feature that draws others in, engaging attention. Sadly, as we age, droopy, puffy eyelid skin can detract from the magnetism and attractiveness of the eyes. Eyelid surgery is performed to correct these problems and create a more alert, rested, youthful appearance.
Surgery of the upper eyelids, lower eyelids, or both can correct a number of cosmetic issues, including:
- Excess skin obscuring the natural fold of the upper eyelids
- Loose, hanging skin on the upper eyelids
- Excess skin and wrinkles of the lower eyelids
- Bags and dark circles under the eyes
- Depressions along the bony border of the lower eyelids
- Puffiness of the upper and lower eyelids that creates a tired appearance
- Droopy lower lids that show white below the iris (colored portion of the eye)
- Lack of a natural fold in the upper eyelids (Asian eyelid surgery in Orange County)
Eyelid Surgery for Medical Reasons
While cosmetic eyelid surgery is performed for aesthetic purposes, functional blepharoplasty is performed for medical reasons. In some cases, the loose skin on the upper eyelids can droop low enough to obstruct the field of vision. Functional eyelid surgery can be performed to correct this problem. In these cases, your health insurance policy may cover part or all the cost of the procedure.
Additional medically necessary reasons for eyelid surgery may include:
- Difficulty wearing glasses or contact lenses due to droopy upper or lower eyelids
- Forehead discomfort caused by muscle strain from constantly lifting the brow and sagging skin in the eyelids
- Skin irritation from excess folds on the eyelids rubbing together
Asian Eyelid Surgery
Dr. Kahng is a premier Asian eyelid surgeon, who has a unique perspective on how to perform this procedure correctly, and produce a beautiful result. To reshape eye appearance and create a more “open” look, or a double eyelid fold, he uses a range of advanced surgical techniques. His deep experience and knowledge of Asian eye structure and his successes in eyelid surgery has led to his reputation as being the top Asian eyelid surgeon in the area.
How Is Eyelid Surgery Performed?
The first step of eyelid surgery is anesthesia to ensure your comfort during the procedure. Your doctor may recommend general anesthesia or intravenous sedation.
Our surgeon will strategically place incisions to be well concealed within the natural structures of the eyelid area. The upper eyelids can be corrected through an incision along the natural crease of the eyelid, though which muscles are tightened, fat deposits repositioned, and excess skin removed.
In performing lower eyelid surgery, our surgeon will place an incision directly below the lower lash line to remove or reposition excess fat and remove excess skin of the lower eyelid. Alternatively, if no excess skin is removed, the incision may be placed on the inside of the lower eyelid. Surgical incisions may be closed with sutures or skin glue. Laser treatments or a chemical peel may be recommended to reduce discoloration of the lower lids.
Benefits of Eyelid Surgery
Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) ranks among the top five cosmetic surgical procedures in the nation. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), 209,000 eyelid surgery procedures were performed in the U.S. in 2016.
As performed by our skilled plastic surgeons at Cara Plastic Surgery & Laser Center, eyelid surgery in Orange County has a range of important cosmetic and life benefits, including:
- Dramatically rejuvenates the appearance of the eyes
- Creates a refreshed, more alert facial appearance
- Makes it easier to apply eye makeup
- Upper and lower eyelid surgery can be performed at the same time
- Can be performed in combination with other procedures, such as a brow lift or facelift
- Creates a natural fold if lacking in the upper eyelids (Asian eyelid surgery in Los Angeles)
- Corrects vision problems caused by hanging upper eyelid skin
- Can alleviate medical problems such as forehead discomfort and skin irritation caused by excess skin on upper lids
- Can be performed under intravenous sedation (for patients who do not want general anesthesia)
- Produces beautiful, natural-looking results that are long-lasting – for the rest of your life in most cases